Crabby Old Lady has had a tiring week. As excellent as Elderblogger PhoneCon was on Tuesday, six hours on the phone pretty well wiped out Crabby, who didn’t get much else done the rest of the day.
On Wednesday evening, she joined a friend for dinner at a local restaurant and although she had the normal two glasses of wine with her meal, she forgot to take her aspirin and drink water at home, so she woke up with a mildly annoying hangover on Thursday.
That day brought the discovery that nearly four months of email at Crabby's secondary email address had not downloaded to her computer from the server. She is still plowing through hundreds of messages and again offers apologies to all the people she had not responded to yet.
Additionally, Crabby has been preparing for a new, regular writing assignment at another website which she will soon tell you about, and you may have noticed that after a hiatus of several weeks, Crabby’s had a lot to complain about on TGB in the past ten days or so - a lot of writing to do.
Plus, as Crabby follows the current election campaign, the behavior of candidates throughout the country (see yesterday's post for only two small examples) has so disheartened her that she is coming to believe there is hardly any hope of getting a Congress that is even slightly less than embarrassing. Dear god, do any of them think of anything beyond money-grubbing, sex and their own bloated egos?
Crabby Old Lady is one tired puppy, and she needs a little light fun. Maybe you do too.
Right on cue Estelle, who is a blog reader and not a blogger (yet), although she is a writer, sent the list below of – well, some unfortunate but funny internet domain names. Crabby understands how a hapless choice might be made without immediately realizing it. What she can’t figure out is why, once it is noticed, it isn’t changed. But that just makes more fun for us.
To add to your enjoyment, Crabby has replaced the URLs in the original list with links to the websites because if you don’t catch the error from the site name, the surprise is funnier. If you miss any, check the address bar at the top of your browser when you reach the website. [NOTE FOR DELICATE SENSIBILITIES: A couple of these are a little racier than what is usually published on TGB.]
Here, then, is the list from Estelle:
“Everyone knows that if you are going to operate a business in today's world you need a domain name. It is, however, advisable to look at the domain name selected as others will see it and not just as you think it looks.
"Failure to do this may result in situations such as the following (legitimate) companies who deal in everyday, humdrum products and services but clearly didn't give their domain names enough consideration.”
- A site called Who Represents where you can find the name of the agent that represents a celebrity
- Experts Exchange, a knowledge base where programmers can exchange advice and views
- Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island
- Need a therapist? Try Therapist Finder
- Then of course, there's the Italian Power Generator company
- And now, we have the Mole Station Native Nursery, based in New South Wales. Well, the URL in this case is okay; read the name of the company carefully.
- If you're looking for computer software, there's always this company
- Welcome to the First Cumming Methodist Church
- Then, of course, there's these brainless art designers, and their Speed of Art
- Looking for a great vacation spot? Try Go Tahoe